Thursday, July 30, 2015

Prelude to my Travel Memoir

            When I saw myself in the mirror brushing my teeth after two days of not, I realized I had so much of food without it that I felt that I should and I looked good. A sudden glow on my face said I was enjoying the food but I had to see more than what just met the eye. The whole experience of me living it up in Kashmir started with money problems that I had to face when I lost my mother because of a murderous disease like cancer. I lost her that was enough of loss that I had to bear and I needed a change .I started working at a company at Nariman Point and decided to leave that place after I lost all my money travelling. I had a loan of more than 3.00 lacs on my head and I knew survival in Mumbai would eat my strength away and I would be left with nothing at all. So that day I decided I shall sell my mother's gold that was left in the cupboard , a few rings and a few bangles and leave this city for a year where I could rent  a place and live a life where money is not the concern I have every day and my senses would function for survival.
         I didn't choose this place but I felt that someone was calling me here as if everyone wanted me here. Psychic as it might sound but I never wanted to go to any place except Kashmir. I didn't have a plan like always. But I decided on the place when I called a person living in Srinagar to know about the rent system here. No deposit system and monthly rent only a Rs 9000/-. I knew I would survive  and decided on an impulse to book my ticket to Srinagar. I even booked a houseboat for two days to decide there if I shall be living here for a year or more or less...

       
     I came here alone only to find that all were closer to me than myself and I liked this place instantly. A person from Mumbai and someone from America are treated the same here but if you are a Muslim , you are welcomed with lots of love. I am a convert Muslim only to know I was a revert Muslim like years ago when I was sitting with the first Muslim family I knew from Bhopal. They were not a good memory but that didn't keep me away from people of Kashmir. Not at all. They make a good memoir...

No comments:

Post a Comment